Thursday, December 15, 2005

We'll launch on Valentine's Day 2006!

Yesterday I attended a workshop called "3 Ways To Write a Non-Fiction Book", run by the amazing Robyn Henderson (www.networkingtowin.com.au). She will help me make my dream come true - ie. publish Man Overboard. I am going to do it myself. The oligarchy of brain dead publishers are simply a barrier to quality output. For $8000 I can have 1000 copies printed, do my own distribution and my own PR, and get the workshops going. I will be the publisher! Robyn revealed low cost sources of all the services I need - editing, typesetting, design, legal advice... She showed how to created multiple income streams from the core content, via seminars, videos, DVDs, ezines, newsletters, movies, CD audio, training package, etc. She stressed the importance of building a database and soliciting preorders, creating versions of the book for different audiences, creating a community online that want access to ongoing information and support.
So action: today I sent the manuscript and the cover illustration I have discovered on Fotosearch to Jason Knight, a young designer who was doing the course with me. He will quote on designing the cover. My good buddy Martin Kane has also got the brief. Later today I will approach Linda, my friend Simon's partner, who has offered to edit the book. She is an editor with Marie Claire magazine. I hope she can do it over the break. As for printers, I had drinks with Greg Bright, publisher of Technology & Investment magazine who said he had published several books and was able to get good prices from printers. (I might see if he can get access to a deal for me.)
Meanwhile I have got to develop a distribution plan and a publicity plan, design the workshops and create the promotion plan for getting attendees. My good friend Ramin has agreed to invest in the project to help get it off the ground.
Exciting, isn't it?
I think I'll just go to www.thorpe.com.au and get my ISBN number and barcode right now. See you...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats
Search Popdex: