Monday, January 23, 2006

Man Overboard is not scripturally based

Background: Wonderful Warwick Marsh included an offer of a free copy of Man Overboard in his Fatherhood Foundation newsletter and I received 17 requests almost overnight. One reader found the book objectionable. In this blog I reproduce the messages sent over this issue because it's an issue we have to face.

Dear Warwick,
Have you read the attached book? Whilst I appreciate his sentiments, it has no hint of being scripturally based, doesn't quote the bible, and does reference eastern religion and eastern religious leaders quite often. I know you are a busy man, so I thought I'd raise this with you. From my standpoint, although this book may achieve some temporary betterment in a relationship (it is a book of tactics), it doesn't address the core issues as covered in scripture, and in my opinion could lead readers further away from Christ instead of closer to Him. I have not discussed this with Michael, there is no point in doing so as I have no base of relationship and credibility from which to work. I will certainly not be recommending the book myself. I would be interested to hear your opinion. The book is attached if you don't have it.
Best regards,
Steve

Warwick replied...

Dear Steve
I am running a hospital.The Fatherhood Foundation is a hospital. The people I work with don't understand church language I lot of people I know don't know Jesus. Michael is on the road but he has not arrived. Few of us have arrived.For a man that hasn't arrived he makes a lot of sense. Your right he would do well to quote more from the greatest book of all. Your right the great majority of eastern Mystics are charlatans.To base your life on them can be quite dangerous. There is only one to base your life on and that is the one who gave his life to prove his love for you and me.I cant help but feel as I read Michaels book that he is on the road to Golgotha.The fragrance of the indescribable Love of God is drawing him closer ever closer.We are all on that journey we are either getting closer or we are going further away.

You can know and not do or you can do and not know. I don't know which is worse. In Christian circles I know far too many people that know all about God's love but don't put it into practice as in loving their Wives and loving their children. My goal is to help men love their wives and children and as they stretch out to do the impossible they will find it is impossible to truly love unless they meet the source of love and it is not possible to meet the source of love without getting an introduction from Jesus Christ the son of the living God. We always meet Jesus on the road to' Golgotha 'which being translated means' the place of the skull' because as Jesus said life comes through death.

In many ways Michael has tried to address the profound mystery of Christ and the church but from the back door. He even quotes one of the most profound scriptures in the bible Ephesians 5:25' Husbands, love your wives as Christ loves the Church and gave himself up for her.'He doesn't finish the quotation which goes on to say about 7 verses farther on 'This is a profound Mystery but I am speaking about Christ and the church.' Some times people who stumble through the back door end up going through the front door. Such is the overwhelming grace of God.

I would have to disagree with you in that the book is only about tactics although that's what men need most and lets not kid ourselves there but the beauty of Michaels book is that they just might put it into practice and find it works and wonder why and start to go on the journey themselves to find the source of love because our love will never be enough. We must get it from our Father in heaven.

Your in Christ's Love
Warwick Marsh

Warwick copied me in on the above, so I sent the following to Steve...

Dear Steve,

I read your concerns about my book and agree with you it is not scripturally based. God did not ask me to write such a book. While I am a regular churchgoer and read the Bible and pray for guidance and live my Faith, I'm just a traveller who sees a crash victim by the way. I want to help stop the bleeding. I'm an ordinary bloke who sees men and women in pain and wants to help stop the destruction, the needless waste of human lives through divorce and separation. I don't try to sell them religion because they're not in the market for it. They are searching for Love. But more than that, they are seeking oneness with God and they don't know it. They think the yearning is for another person, but it is for unity with God they yearn. We are all yearning for the same thing. Learning to give and receive Love brings people closer to God because God is Love. Love is the greatest power in the Universe, it is the gift of God and we deny it at our peril. Without it we are weak and alone. With Love anything is possible.
You are right to point out that there are elements of Eastern mysticism in my book. I follow the precedent set by the missionaries to the British Isles who were instructed not to oppose the pagan festivals but to reinterpret them in Christ's terms. And so a pagan fertility festival became Easter and the Winter solstice became Christmas. If I were to be labelled as Christian it would keep my message locked away from millions around the world who need it. That's a fact. My book of tactics works for modern men. That's all I have been called to do. Your comments have made me think deeply and for that I thank you. Good luck with your mission.

Regards,

Michael Kiely

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats
Search Popdex: