Saturday, January 07, 2006

One word: crap.

Peter Temple was my writing teacher at journalism school 25 years ago. He is now a successful novelist (see below)*. A few months back I sent him the manuscript of Man Overboard and this was his opinion:

"Michael: I've read the work. One word: crap.
I'm glad your wife is still around. I can't imagine why...
The thing reads like an advertisement
for race-tipping software. It reeks of marketing insincerity.
My only suggestion is to scrap it and try to write a brief
and honest text under a title such
as A SHORT MEDITATION ON KEEPING THE WOMAN YOU LOVE.
I am sure this advice will be of no use whatsoever to you. PT"

Peter always was rather caustic. (Inside that gruff exterior there is a human being trying to get out.) But he knows his writing craft and he's right. My book is a sales tool and I am selling love - or more precisely the potentiality of bliss beyond the dreams of mortal men.

His reply to my request for an opinion was so brilliant and encouraging that I promised him I would print it on the cover as a fair warning to potential buyers.

I welcome all feedback.

*PT's bio: Born in South Africa, Peter Temple is one of Australia's most acclaimed writers, and has worked as a journalist, magazine editor, and teacher. He is the author of eight novels, four of which have received the Ned Kelly Award for crime fiction. BAD DEBTS and BLACK TIDE are the introductory titles in his celebrated Jack Irish series.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats
Search Popdex: