Thursday, January 26, 2006

Why is it that people get married?

"Why is it that people get married?
Because we need a witness to our lives.
There’s a billion people on the planet.
What does any one life really mean?
But in a marriage, you’re promising to care about everything…
The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things,
All of it… all the time, every day.
You’re saying 'Your life will not go unnoticed because I will notice it.
Your life will not go unwitnessed - because I will be your witness.'"

Wife in the movie, "Shall We Dance?" 2004

I found this quote in smartmarriages.com. It struck me immediately as being profound. Sometimes I think to myself that Louisa gives my life meaning. Famous Australian novelist Partick White described his partner Manoly as "My sweet reason". Now I'm not saying that my life would have no meaning had I not met Louisa or I lost her. But her meaning in my life is meaning. I interpret my life in the context of hers and hers in mine. I am a pretty stong-willed, bull-headed man, despite what some critics think, and do not live my life tied to her apron-strings. But to see her face is like starting anew every time. I don't need a witness to prove I am alive. It's more like a presence. Like the Sun. You don't always notice it, but it's shining and warming all the time. My life with Louisa is different and better than a life without her, with someone else.

(How can I tell? Because I have loved and lived with other women. Louisa was qualitatively different from the moment I first truly saw her. I saw her physically three or four times before my eyes were opened. Then I believe I saw her spirit. Spirit in me recognised Spirit in her, and Spirit danced with joy at recognising itself as in a mirror. It was a shattering experience for me. I remember a week after we collided, she went away for the Michaelmas Term vacation and I wondered around on the farm in a daze, thinking about her, as if I was making a momentous decision. I felt scared. Like I was about to enter some dangerous forest. The day she returned, I went to her residential college room and, as we rushed together to fall into a passionate kiss, I clumsily stepped all over her toes. This was portentious, because I literally, figuratively, and emotionally stepped on her toes by taking her for granted over the next 4 years, so much so that she left me soon after our first child was born... and thus began my dark night of the soul. And the journey towards writing Man Overboard.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats
Search Popdex: