Thursday, February 23, 2006

Marriage: like being hit by a Mack truck


A note of thanks from a man of courage...

Michael,

Thanks for the manuscript and have been reading it during my lunch
breaks. Its truly inspiring.
My life has mirrored yours to some extent. I was married for nearly
fifteen years at the time and I knew not every thing was great. So one
night in bed I sat up and asked my wife what was wrong. She sat up and
said that she stilled loved me but did not want to live with me any
more. Being hit by a Mack truck could not have hurt more. All the
questions that flooded my mind.... how could I live with out her, the
kids(2),would they be calling some one else dad, who would live with
who, was there an affair(there was), what had I done that was so wrong
etc etc.
We actually held the marriage together with a lot of sole searching and
talking and the fact that I would not let go. As it turns out I was
doing some of the things in the book but if I had seen this book to read
then, I'm sure we would have been back on track sooner. It took about 18
months before happy families again. I have read some books on the
subject. Of these I found Steven Covey's book Seven habit of highly
effective Families the best but it did not hit on purely the husband and
wife relationship, more the family situation. Our marriage now (5 years
on) is still good but now it's going to be great. I have used some of
the thing written about in the book since getting it over a week ago and
things have never been better.
There is the old saying "If the wife is happy, life's happy" Now I know
why. This book should be an attachment to any marriage certificate and
may be the divorce rate might be reduced.
In the preface you mentioned Ramin who was planning workshops?? Is this
a work shop for the contents of this book. It occurred to me while
reading the book that it could so easily be turned into a quick 3 hour
work shop for men or packaged so that it could be a self help package
distributed via councillors, help groups, churches,etc. Not as a book
but self help cards with main points and a brief exercise that follows.
Just a thought... God knows how many men need it........

Thanks again for sharing this with us,
Regards

Bill

(Image from www.bobyoungprints.com)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats
Search Popdex: